Thursday, December 23, 2004

recap of the weekend

I have been very busy the last couple of days trying to catch up housework, christmas shopping, and working.

Friday,

We got up and got on the road a little later than we wanted to, but all was good. The ride there was beautiful. We had a couple of snags on the road through Chatanooga, but that is expected. Trucks locking up, people being stupid. We stopped in Natalahala. Wow what a great little spot. I loved it there. I got some great shots of the girls there.Then it was on to N.C. We finally made it to the cabin without getting lost. (I was giving directions). We had a nice dinner waiting on us. Typical Christmas dinner. It was delicious though. We toured the cabin and it was beautiful. It had 6 bedrooms and 3 baths. (I got the card, I see a friends weekend coming up in our future). After dinner we made Christmas ornaments from construction paper, coloring book pages, ribbon and glue. Very cute tree. After that we hung out for a bit and went to bed.

Saturday,

I woke up about 2:30 and couldn't sleep. I sat up and looked at the fire in our nice fireplace for about an hour and thought about how for breakfast I wanted some ham and eggs. I went back to bed and woke up the next morning and cooked some ham and eggs. Yummy!!! We all got ready and went into Ashville and went shopping. It was a cool town with a lot of cool shops. Then, we went back to the cabin and got ready for an amazing evening. We all got dressed up and headed to the Biltmore. For dinner, I chose the Lobster Bisque, Roasted Duck, Apple Cranberry cake (pie). It was very delicious. Then we headed for the tour. OH My Lord the House was beautiful. I can't even begin to imagine living in a place like that. It was huge and beautifully restored. There was a bowling alley and a swimming pool inside the house. For that time period, it is pretty amazing to think about it. There were 35 bedrooms and 43 bathrooms in the house. Amazing. We headed back home that evening and went to bed and awaited snow for the next day.

Sunday,

We woke up to no snow, few flurries. I decided that I wanted to get out of the house and explore my surroundings. So Tara and I took the girls, I wanted to give the grownups a break, and headed out. We drove in the mountains for several hours. The temperature kept rising as we left weaverville. It was pretty hillarous. Well, we stopped at the downtown toyshop. Holly and Heidi were not impressed. Sooo, we headed back to make a quick stop at the grocery store. We were in the store maybe 15 minutes and came out to a freaking blizzard. It was snowing harder than I have ever seen in my life. It was a beautiful sight.. The girls were very excited. When we got back to the cabin, they played in the snow and had a great time. That evening we, John actually, built a bonfire. We roasted hot dogs and made smores. Then the girls, Tara and I , took a slide down the hill on our natural sleds (our butts). IT pays to pack a booty in the snow. That was fun. After that, we all headed in to get warm. We played triva pursuit and headed to bed.


Monday,

We slept in. We had to be out by 11:00. So we did the normal packing thing. The line we were to travel on to get home was really the line the snow storm hit. We decided to go south. It added about 5 hours to our trip hom which was already 6 hours. So, if you do your math, that is 11 hours. yikes. Very long trip home, but very relaxing. We could have took the 6 hr trip, but it would have felt like 11 hours. So we chose less stress. yeah. We decided to go through helen Georgia. It was very beautiful . Then we had supper in Dalton, Georgia. Then it was home. I love the mountains. I love driving through them and seeing all of the beautiful overlooks. Eric and I are going to live there one day.


Tuesday- Wednesday

Back to work and daily grindstone. I will work tonight, but be off tomorrow and Saturday. Yippee.

Merry Christmas to anybody that does read this.


Be back next week.

No comments: