Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Testing the real

Well had 2 people call in at work today. That meant I had to work the register by myself. I am not fully trained to operate such a contraption. It is more than just scan something and hitting total. I am required to do purchase orders, returns, exchanges, tax exempt stuff, etc amd answer the phone. So it is not will that be check, cash or charge. It discount cards and etc. Anyway, I could have had a worse night, but I put into practice somethings that I have been reading about lately and I have to say that they worked. I can't lie, At one point, I was a nervouse wreck it was a deer head lights moment. I had 3 people in line, 2 people on the phone and everyone was buys helping someone in the store. At that moment I decided to make a concious choice to breath and go to my quiet place and just relax. It really worked to just count to 10 and say hey I am just going to do what I can and the rest I will apologize for. I must say that my pleasantness to the customer while they waited helped the customer be calm to. I had one lady out of the 50-75 people I waited on get a little upset at me, but that was ok it wasn't like she slapped me she just said I could make you re wring that up and then give me my advantage discount, I said I can do that for you maam if you would like and she declined.

So the norm would have been me having a nervous breakdown, but I survived and did it with a happy relaxed positive attitude. All because I have determined with God's help that I am not going to let what I can't change effect me. I am going to do what I can and just say screw the rest in the most positive manner possible

No comments: